The breast is a cultural, historic, and anthropometric symbol of female sexual attraction. Breast augmentation feminizes the breast by increasing size and more importantly by feminizing the shape. Hundreds of implant choices are available.
As in all surgeries mistakes can occur before, during or after surgery. Most breast augmentation errors occur before surgery if there is inadequate discussion regarding choices. One of the worst ways patients proceed is to say, “I want a 400cc implant because my friend has one and I want to look like her”.
After a consultation you should have a clear understanding of saline, cohesive gel, form stable, textured, smooth, over muscle, under muscle, low profile, medium profile, high profile, ultra high profile, and anatomical implants. You should be given a choice of belly button, underarm, crease and areolar incisions. Dr. Sinclair has performed thousands of breast augmentations and will use biodimensional analysis to help you determine which size, shape and incision is best for your transition.
Breast Augmentation F.A.Q.
- Which implants are used?
- Dr. Sinclair uses Allergan, Mentor and Sientra implants.
- How is the implant chosen?
- You will choose the implant after a consultation. The consultation will include bio dimensional analysis of your chest wall, viewing before and after images and listening to your aesthetic preferences. Choices to be determined includee shell (textured or smooth), fill material (saline, cohesive gel, form stable “gummy bear”), shape (round or anatomical), profile (low, moderate, high, full, oval, full height) and volume.
- Which Incision is used?
- Underarm (axillary), crease (inframammary), areolar (nipple) and belly button (periumbilical). You will choose depending upon your anatomy, implant choice and incision location preference.
- Are the implants placed over or under the muscle?
- The implants are usually placed under the pectorals major muscle. If you prefer a submammary (over the muscle) or subfascial approach this can be done.
- What kind of anesthesia is used?
- General anesthesia is most commonly used. General anesthesia gives the best muscle relaxation and allows the most accurate placement. If you prefer intravenous sedation with an anesthesiologist can be done.
- Where do I go after surgery?
- You will go home or to your hotel.
- How long does it take to recover?
- Most patients take off 5 working days. After 6 weeks all activity like bungee cord jumping or sky diving is possible.
- What do I need to do after surgery?
- Dr. Sinclair will instruct you in “yoga stretches” to maintain pocket size and maximize softness. Surgical tape and topical creams will be used to minimze incisions. You are encouraged to wear a bra for 3 months after surgery.
We invite you to contact us for a free consultation to discuss how best to suit this procedure to your physique.